I'm Currently working on my MDIV (Masters of Divinity) through Liberty University and my first class is a Church History...sounds pretty dull eh? That's what i thought too, but the writer of "Getting To Know The Church Fathers", Bryan Litfin is convincing me otherwise.
My eye's were first opened to this 'goldmine of Faith' by John Piper; who, every year researches and preaches on a man of God from the ancients...a "church Father" some would say, a "beast of the Faith" i would say. ; )
John Piper uses a scripture from Hebrews as the Biblical mandate for such Biography, Hebrews 6:12, "...But be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."
The mistake comes when we put these men, and women in a 'god-like' league of their own. It seems this is the case in some of the orthodox religions as well as some within Roman Catholicism. We must not forget, as Bryan Litfin puts it, "...we must need to realize that the opening actors in the Christian drama were flesh-and-blood people who lived their lives in God's presence just as we do today".
That being said, their faith, the way they lived their lives, their sacrifices and dedication to Christ and the Word...even unto death, should be an example to ALL believers of what Hebrews 6:12 refers to, the kind of faith we should imitate. Litfin puts it this way, "The Truth of the matter is the church Fathers loved the scriptures immensely...the fathers help us get in touch with the general thrust of the Christian faith, (this thrust) necessarily includes (not only a Doctrinal thrust, i.e. what the scriptures teach) but a COMMUNAL aspect as well.
When we get to know the church fathers as individuals, (not as weird/supernatural statues/god-like 'saints' that we light candles to and revere as 'untouchable') but as real men and women, we will begin to understand something of the grandeur of the community to which we belong - what the Apostles' Creed calls the "Communion of Saints".
I'm only a few chapters in but have studied the lives of 2 men. Two William Wallace, type of men....nothing like the feminine 'pictures' that have been painted of them...with dainty crossed fingers and soft flowing hair that look more like they should be on the cover to 'vogue magazine' than men who stood against emporers and lions for God's Truth...the Gospel...these men were warriors of the faith, and died as such. I'll give you a few snipits of their writings,
Ignacious- Died in the Roman Colosseum, eaten by animals for his unashamed stance as a Christ Follower. Here's a letter he wrote on his way to be put to death, "Pray that I'll have strength in my soul and in my physical body, so that i won't just give lip service to martyrdom but will actually desire to go through with it. I don't want to merely call myself a Christian - I want to back it up when it counts...Christianities true power is discovered only when it is hated by the world. I like to think of myself as God's own wheat. I must be ground up into flour by the teeth of those beasts so I can be baked into a pure loaf of bread for Him. Let them become my tomb and completely devour me. I don't want to burden you with having to collect my remains after i have died. Then i will be a true disciple of Jesus Christ in the fullest sense. So pray to the Lord for me."
Sound like a feminine, spineless man to you? No...thats a true warrior of Jesus Christ who's faith is worthy to be imitated. I find myself very...very humbled and convicted.
Justin Martyr (Martyr's not his real last name, he was given it when he was whipped and beheaded for not denying Christ). Here's a few words from him, "We who formerly delighted in fornication now embrace chastity alone; we who formerly practiced magical arts now dedicate ourselves to the good and un-begotten God..." he goes on. He died shortly after writing a letter to the emperor trying to persuade him to accept Christ and to stop murdering Christians.
So...to be continued. I hope your encouraged to mine for this gold. Seeing them persevere by the Grace that God supplies encourages me that that same grace that has poured into me and many of you, is sufficient to bring us out of any trial, suffering, loneliness or pain. As Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
My eye's were first opened to this 'goldmine of Faith' by John Piper; who, every year researches and preaches on a man of God from the ancients...a "church Father" some would say, a "beast of the Faith" i would say. ; )John Piper uses a scripture from Hebrews as the Biblical mandate for such Biography, Hebrews 6:12, "...But be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."
The mistake comes when we put these men, and women in a 'god-like' league of their own. It seems this is the case in some of the orthodox religions as well as some within Roman Catholicism. We must not forget, as Bryan Litfin puts it, "...we must need to realize that the opening actors in the Christian drama were flesh-and-blood people who lived their lives in God's presence just as we do today".
That being said, their faith, the way they lived their lives, their sacrifices and dedication to Christ and the Word...even unto death, should be an example to ALL believers of what Hebrews 6:12 refers to, the kind of faith we should imitate. Litfin puts it this way, "The Truth of the matter is the church Fathers loved the scriptures immensely...the fathers help us get in touch with the general thrust of the Christian faith, (this thrust) necessarily includes (not only a Doctrinal thrust, i.e. what the scriptures teach) but a COMMUNAL aspect as well.
When we get to know the church fathers as individuals, (not as weird/supernatural statues/god-like 'saints' that we light candles to and revere as 'untouchable') but as real men and women, we will begin to understand something of the grandeur of the community to which we belong - what the Apostles' Creed calls the "Communion of Saints".
I'm only a few chapters in but have studied the lives of 2 men. Two William Wallace, type of men....nothing like the feminine 'pictures' that have been painted of them...with dainty crossed fingers and soft flowing hair that look more like they should be on the cover to 'vogue magazine' than men who stood against emporers and lions for God's Truth...the Gospel...these men were warriors of the faith, and died as such. I'll give you a few snipits of their writings,
Ignacious- Died in the Roman Colosseum, eaten by animals for his unashamed stance as a Christ Follower. Here's a letter he wrote on his way to be put to death, "Pray that I'll have strength in my soul and in my physical body, so that i won't just give lip service to martyrdom but will actually desire to go through with it. I don't want to merely call myself a Christian - I want to back it up when it counts...Christianities true power is discovered only when it is hated by the world. I like to think of myself as God's own wheat. I must be ground up into flour by the teeth of those beasts so I can be baked into a pure loaf of bread for Him. Let them become my tomb and completely devour me. I don't want to burden you with having to collect my remains after i have died. Then i will be a true disciple of Jesus Christ in the fullest sense. So pray to the Lord for me."
Sound like a feminine, spineless man to you? No...thats a true warrior of Jesus Christ who's faith is worthy to be imitated. I find myself very...very humbled and convicted.
Justin Martyr (Martyr's not his real last name, he was given it when he was whipped and beheaded for not denying Christ). Here's a few words from him, "We who formerly delighted in fornication now embrace chastity alone; we who formerly practiced magical arts now dedicate ourselves to the good and un-begotten God..." he goes on. He died shortly after writing a letter to the emperor trying to persuade him to accept Christ and to stop murdering Christians.
So...to be continued. I hope your encouraged to mine for this gold. Seeing them persevere by the Grace that God supplies encourages me that that same grace that has poured into me and many of you, is sufficient to bring us out of any trial, suffering, loneliness or pain. As Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment